In this free drum lesson, I have the drum notation for a cool section from “Aces High” by Iron Maiden, featuring the drumming of Nicko McBrain.
The section starts at around 1:54 and is repeated in other parts of the song as well. This bridge section features some cool single pedal bass drum work from Nicko and also demonstrates his ability to improvise as well.
The first four bars feature a bass drum pattern playing on the offbeats in between the Snare and Ride hits. Notice that the section starts with two Crash cymbals following the bass line. The drum fill at the end of bar four is a classic idea where the bass drum is used to fill in the gap before a double hand stab on the Snare and Crash.
Bars 6 and 7 show a bass drum pattern at the end of the bar that also gets repeated in other similar sections during the song…two bass drums leading into the Snare drum back beat. The last bar features a drum fill that uses the Herta drum lick/rudiment. It consists of the RLRL which takes up the space of three sixteenth notes, so that it moves across the beat in a cool way.
“Aces High” (Iron Maiden) FREE PDF NOTATION – Click below…
Download and save the free PDF by clicking here – Aces High (Iron Maiden) Free PDF Drum Chart
Check out more drum lessons for Iron Maiden below…
- “Can I Play With Madness” – Mini Song Video Drum Lesson
- “Fear Of The Dark” – Mini Song Video Drum Lesson
- “Run To The Hills” – Drum Beat Video Drum Lesson
- “The Evil That Men Do” – Mini Song Video Drum Lesson
- “The Number Of The Beast” – Full Song Notation Drum Lesson
- “The Prisoner” – Drum Beat Video Drum Lesson
- “The Trooper” – Drum Fill Video Drum Lesson
- “Where Eagles Dare” – Drum Fill Video Drum Lesson
- “Run To The Hills” – Full Song Video Drum Lesson
- “The Number Of The Beast” – Full Song Video Drum Lesson
Browse all FREE drum content by clicking HERE.
Alternatively, get access to 100s of FULL-SONG Video Drum Lessons, Song Charts and eBooks by becoming an Online Member below…
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through the Contact Form if you have any questions at all.