What is it with drumming? I’m sat at my kit jamming away and I before I know it a whole hour has passed without even realising it! I’ve been working on my linear style hand and foot combinations again and I’m loving it. I’m still trying to get these babies up to a speed that really impresses but for now I’m enjoying the practice. Some I’m pretty good at (groups of six and three’s) but others are not so “groovy“.
Anyway, it dawned on me that the Gospel style of drumming that has emerged over the last few years has totally influenced my playing. I now consciously practice my triplet based linear hand and foot licks as “show off” chops. I intend to learn them so I can melt a few faces…hopefully. Sometimes, you just want to let rip a little on stage and when the moments right you can really go for it with gospel and linear style drum licks and fills.
It’s in this linear, triplet, Gospel music related style that I feel most excited. So much so that i decided to write a lesson on the subject. You can view the full lesson here…
In this lesson I take four of my favourite hand/foot linear style groups of six and three and combine them to make all kinds of cool ideas. The basic four linear patterns are shown below.
1. Three Notes: Two Hands/One Bass
2. Six Notes: Four Hands/Two Bass
3. Six Notes: Five Hands/One Bass
With these four basic linear hand foot combinations you can combine them to create longer and more musical gospel style linear chops. Here are a few examples from the lesson…
Gospel Style Linear Example 1
Gospel Style Linear Example 2
Gospel Style Linear Example 3
The lesson goes on further and talks about using linear/gospel style licks within drum beats and grooves too. Here’s one example of this.
Gospel Style Linear Groove Example 1
I hope you find this drum lesson useful and more importantly, fun! Playing gospel licks and fills is great fun and just so happens to be great for your drumming as well! Bonus.
This drum lesson and other related linear drum lesson are available for viewing by clicking below…
- Free Drum Lesson: Linear, Gospel & Triplet Style Drum Licks & Fills
- Free Video Drum Lesson: Linear Drum Beats & Grooves Drum Lesson
- Free Drum Lesson: Linear Grooves and Drum Beats 1 – Basic and Beginner Linear Style Of Drumming
- Free Drum Lesson: Linear Grooves and Drum Beats 2 – Syncopated Eighth & Sixteenth Linear Style Of Drumming
Related drumming lessons and drum videos…
- Free Video Drum Lesson: The “Bonham Bass Drum Triplets” – Drum Fill/Lick
- Free Drum Lesson: “Bonham Triplets” – Drum Fill & Lick Ideas
- Free Video Drum Lesson: Cool Drum Fill / Lick – Four Note Linear Group (R L L F)
- Free Video Drum Lesson: Cool Drum Fill / Lick – Three Note Linear Group (R L L)
- Free Video Drum Lesson: Cool Drum Fill / Lick – Three Note Group (R L F)
- Free Video Drum Lesson: Triplet Drum Fill / Lick – Five Note Sticking With Bass Drum
- Free Drum Lesson: The Weckl 9: Nine Note Linear Hand and Foot Combination – Licks, Grooves and Ideas
- Free Video Drum Lesson: The Weckl 9 (Hand & Foot Idea)
Browse all FREE drum content by clicking HERE.
Alternatively, get access to 100s of FULL-SONG Video Drum Lessons, Song Charts and eBooks by becoming an Online Member below…
Please email email@example.com or contact me through the Contact Form if you have any questions at all.