In this free drum lesson, I have the both a drum fill and drum beat from “Sober” by Tool, featuring the drumming of Danny Carey.
The drum fill that Danny enters with at 0:12 below is very Danny indeed…i.e. inventive, advanced and very hard for me to transcribe! 🙂 What you see written is my best attempt at working out not only the orchestration but also the sticking Danny might have used to play it. So as always, feel free to use whatever Tom Toms you see fit and to change the sticking if there were a more preferential way for you to play it. The use of three subdivisions in such a short space will make this particular drum fill quite hard to feel and count…so good luck!
The drum beat however is something that most of us mere underlings might have better chance at playing though. It features a repeating open close Hi-Hat pattern whilst a simple bass drum and snare drum groove is played underneath. The extra Hi-Hat notes on the “e” of each beat could be left out if you were finding this pattern a little hard to learn initially.
“Sober” (Tool) FREE PDF NOTATION
Download and save the free PDF by clicking here – Sober (Tool) Free PDF Drum Chart
Check out more drum lessons for Tool below…
- “Aenima” – Drum Beat Video Drum Lesson
- “Eulogy” – Drum Beat & Fill Notation Drum Lesson
- “Forty Six & 2” – Drum Solo Notation Drum Lesson
- “Lateralus” – Drum Beat & Fill Notation Drum Lesson
- “Parabola” – Drum Beat Notation Drum Lesson
- “Schism” – Drum Beat Video Drum Lesson
- “Stinkfist” – Mini Song Video Drum Lesson
- “Stinkfist” – Drum Beat & Fill Notation Drum Lesson
- “The Grudge” – Drum Beat & Fill Notation Drum Lesson
- “The Pot” – Drum Beat Notation Drum Lesson
- “Ticks & Leaches” – Drum Beat Notation Drum Lesson
- “Vicarious” – Drum Beat Video Drum Lesson
Browse all FREE drum content by clicking HERE.
Alternatively, get access to 100s of FULL-SONG Video Drum Lessons, Song Charts and eBooks by becoming an Online Member below…
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through the Contact Form if you have any questions at all.